Welcome

The greatest challenge in the metropolitan Ph-enix area ......
62 bowls of ph,
one Winner Winner Ph Dinner.

The Phoenix Phở Challenge is a tournament-style, soup vs soup battle to determine the finest bowl of phở in the metropolitan Phoenix area. The phở-natic judges have selected 32 teams (i.e., restaurants) in this "invitational" championship. The judges will referee (i.e., critique) each battle as one phở faces off against a rival phở. Phở-natic judges will declare a winner in each individual battle, and advance the winner of the phở dinner into the next round.


The image below displays the current 8 team (i.e., restaurant) regional bracket for the competition. Check for updates as the Phoenix Ph-natics eat their way to a regional finalist. Look for the complete, 32 team (restaurant) bracket in an earlier post.

Current Regional Bracket

Current Regional Bracket
Midtown Throwdown Regional

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Battle 4, Dong Phuong Saigon Bowl vs Noodles Ranch (WuDeng Review)

Phở-enix Scorecard: Dong Phuong Saigon Bowl vs Noodles Ranch


 

vs







The Pho
     At Dong Phuong Saigon Bowl, I ordered the Pho Tai Chin (with eye of round steak and well done flank) (P2 on the menu). At Noodles Ranch, I was able to order a Pho Tai Chin (with lean sirloin and brisket). I do like the option of brisket and the crunchy flank, wherever available.  
Broth
     The broth of the Dong Phoung soup was relatively thin, but was nevertheless rich. It contained noticeable oil and was quite salty. During the first quarter to half of the bowl, the broth did remind me of the Pho Nhat soup. It was less oily than the Pho Nhat broth, but saltier. I was concerned that these tastes would prevent the soup from picking up the more subtle flavors of the meats, herbs, and the lime. I was pleasantly surprised, though, when I noticed that, after ample "steeping time," the broth did pick up some of the herb and lime flavors. Overall, it is a pleasant broth that I would acquaint with a good "mom and pop" pho shop (It has a bit of a "comfort" taste imparted by the oil and the salt). 
      The broth of the Noodles Ranch soup was in the relatively "clean" tradition, but was pleasantly beefy as well. Thus, although it started somewhat clean, it was not overly light; it carried a nice beef flavor. It began somewhat round, with most flavor coming from the boiled bone and fats; I was able to taste the spices in the broth relatively well too. I was very pleased that it was not overpowered by salty or MSG-umami flavors. I got a very nice sense of the raw flavor of this broth. It then became more robust and piqued as it took on the herb flavors and the fats from the meats. Overall, this pho broth was a well-made, hand-crafted broth. I enjoyed the basic, clean flavor, as well as the more robust flavor as it continually took on flavor throughout the meal. 
Noodle
     The Dong Phuong folks pack their bowls of pho full with meats and noodles, particularly the noodles. I received a full bowl with heaps of noodles. I registered more noodle than meats in my bowl of soup. The noodles were cooked rather well. They did not become over done until I could see the bottom of the bowl. 
       The Noodles Ranch bowl contained plenty of quality noodle. Moreover, the noodles were cooked just right. They were not underdone, and they were not mushy by the time I reached the bottom of my soup. 
Meats
     The meats in the Dong Phuong soup were of moderate to good quality. I did enjoy both cuts, and I could distinguish between the two cuts with taste. I would rate the round steak and the well done flank slightly above average. I received a satisfactory amount of each cut in the bowl. 
     The meats in the Noodle Ranch soup were of moderate to good quality. I could taste the difference between the lean sirloin and the brisket. I do think that the brisket was a slightly lower quality cut than the brisket I have had at some other top-tier shops, though. The quantity of meats was sufficient. Herbs and Veg
    At Dong Phuong, my fellow Pho-natic and I each received our one plate of herbs. We were served fresh Thai basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, and a lime wedge. Wait a minute ... no pepper slices! The absence of pepper slices for my pho is a definite strike against Dong Phuong. The herbs I was given were relatively fresh. As I enjoy lots of herbs in my soup, I appreciated the basil and cilantro. I will note, though, that I also enjoy a subtle mint of some variety in my pho.
     At Noodles Ranch, we were served a plate of herbs with fresh Thai basil, bean sprouts, jalapeno slices, and lime. The herbs were fresh, and there was plenty for all. 
Service and Ambiance
     The Dong Phuong Saigon Bowl is a very friendly, family run shop. The decor and tables are simple. There is not much of an "ambiance" to discuss ... it is a rather plain, family-run pho shop ... nothing wrong with that. 
     The Noodles Ranch is a rather pleasantly decorated shop in a strip mall on Scottsdale Road. It can be a busy place. The large number of customers seemed to overwhelm the staff slightly. It took some time for our order to be taken, and the service was a little wonky. Nevertheless, service was very nice. I don't have a problem waiting for some tasty pho, especially when the owners and servers are doing well!
Final Pho Sco' (1 -5)

    Dong Phuong Saigon Bowl      3 - 3.25

    Noodles Ranch                     4 - 4.25

Vegetarian's Corner
Dong Phoung .... likely avoid

The vegetarian offerings at Dong Phuong are limited to Chinese (or Chinese-inspired) dishes, and do not include Vietnamese dishes (no soup for you!). My vegetarian wife had to order a Buddha's Delight, which was rather oily and not all-together pleasant.  

Noodles Ranch...worth a try if your veggie likes tofu in coconut curry

Noodles Ranch offers only three vegetarian dishes on their menu. The most hearty of the dishes, and the one I suspect most vegetarians would gravitate towards, is the wok-fried tofu in coconut curry sauce. Unfortunately, no one in our party ordered the dish. If this dish suites your veggie friends and loved ones, I say give the Ranch a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment